Role: Senior Occupational Health & Safety Officer
Reports To: SHEQ Manager
Office location: Midrand / Northern Cape
Main purpose of the job:
The main goal of the successful incumbent to always ensure a safe working environment and prevent any injuries and accidents. Duties and responsibilities will include planning, implementation and oversee the safety of all employees on site and to ensure the Company remains compliant in line with the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act.
- Plan and implement OHS policies and programs
- Advise and lead employees on various safety-related topics
- Prepare educational seminars and webinars on a regular basis
- Review existing policies and procedures
- Adhere to all the rules and regulations
- People management
- Conduct risk assessments
- Enforce preventative measures
- Identify process bottlenecks and offer timely solutions
- Ensure all employees are adhering with OHS rules and regulations
- Prepare and present reports on all incident
- Ensure all safety construction protocols are adhered to.
- Ensure LTIFR is calculated on a monthly basis and reported
- Liaise with client Safety Officer to understand and request their individual OHS specification and derive an index for a Master Safety file related to a project.
- Communicate and vet sub-contractor files and adherence to OHS, for projects and those doing work at offices/ locations.
- Form part of the Health & Safety Committee and advise on pertinent matters affecting OHS within the work environment.
- Advise Crisis Management Team on OHS issues
- Take ownership of audits and vetting with both clients and vendors.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly OHS reports and updates
- Excellent knowledge of OHS Legislation and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices
- Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics
- Proficient in MS Office
- Working knowledge of safety management information system
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Medically fit
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- 15 years of experience as a Safety Officer or similar role
- 10 years of experience in producing reports
- 8 years of experience on Mining Sites/projects producing reports
- Experience with writing policies and procedures for health and safety
- Having a mining and electrical background.
- Certificate in OHS (SAMTRAC/ NEBOSH)
- An advantage would be to have a Diploma in OHS within a mining environment
- SACPCMP registered with proof of candidacy
- Advanced driving trained, preferable (Certificate)
- Rapid problem solving and decision-making certificate
- Legal Liability for Executives training (Certificate)
- Hazard Identification and Risk Analysis trained (Certificate)
- Incident investigator (Certified)
- Certificate/s which relates to ISO compliance, understand future migration to ISO 45001.
- Knowledge of Mining and Construction H&S Regulations
20 June 2022
Your application must include:
An updated CV, motivational letter and relevant certificates.