Role: Project Manager
Reports to: Regional Operations Manager
Office location: Cape Town
Travel Percentage: Moderate 25-40%
Main purpose of the job
The purpose of the NEC XON Project Manager (PM) is to take accountability for planning the development, execution, and successful implementation of projects according to the defined scope, quality standards, strict deadlines and within budget. The PM is responsible for the end-to-end process and co-ordinating the efforts of team members, third-party contractors and consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. This role will also be responsible for defining the project’s objectives and overseeing quality control throughout the lifecycle of delivering the project and must take accountability for managing all elements of project risk, quality, delivery, budget and outcomes. As part of the project, it is expected that the PM will ensure that the project delivers the desired levels of business value. Critically, the PM is expected to serve as a single point of accountability to the clients and NEC XON stakeholders and must ensure that expectations are managed, appropriate reporting is provided and the necessary governance is adhered to.
- Deliver successful projects from start to completion and into operations
- Provide strategic direction to project management team
- Team resource management including manpower need, team set up, specific recruitment needs
- Client and Subcontractor Management; strategic, relationship and contractual and commercial management
- Interface with clients’ project management team to report update and resolve issues
- Maintain a strategic focus for the project with frequent interaction with the divisional heads to ensure a balance between the immediate project needs and the long-term goals of the divisions.
- Maintain effective relationship with divisional heads to meet their needs as project sponsors.
- Manage the execution of the project with accountability for the project profitability (including all resources and associated cost plans).
- Utilise the NEC XON project management methodology, systems, and tools.
- Comply with NEC XON rules and policies and follows professional practice.
- Lead Project Teams and facilitates the communication and interaction among the technical representatives.
- Track project against its schedule, budget and against phase objectives, reporting status to management and divisional heads on a regular basis, and executive staff on an as needed basis.
- Develop and implements recovery plans for off-schedule and unanticipated occurrences.
- Maintain awareness of safety and environmental requirements.
- Negotiate differences with client and internal personnel to meet project goals.
- Review and approves key project documents including project initiation documents (project charter and terms of delivery), project plans, Operating Manuals, etc.
- Provide primary line of communication with client regarding project delivery.
- Maintain an effective relationship with the client account leader.
- Tracks costs and reports against budget.
- Work with Programme Management Office to prepare for and conduct project gate /phase meetings at appropriate phases of the project.
- Assist in preparation of and review of client invoices.
- Participate in the Project Proposal, RFI & RFQs to ensure the Scope of Work is properly defined and ensures that the Project Team has a clear understanding of the Project Scope of supply.
Likely attributes to character
- A can-do attitude, decisive, positive
- Focused to ensuring project deadlines are met
- Has the ability to see the strategic view and can operate comfortably in complex environments at senior levels
- Strong leadership, communications, directional and motivational skills
- Enjoys dealing with several different task, people, objectives concurrently
- Unfazed by working with deadlines and pressure
- Persuasive when necessary to get other parties to ‘buy-in’ to plan
- Proven track record of delivering a large complex, multi discipline and multi subcontract, design and build project for a process plant (or similar technical challenge) from tender through to handover. The candidate would have been wholly responsible and accountable for the project as Project Manager.
- Proven track record of delivering to tight deadlines
- Experienced in managing delivery from subcontractors
- Experience gained in managing delivery to clients
- Possesses a broad understanding of each divisional discipline.
- Effective people management and leadership skills.
- Project management degree| diplomas or equivalent combination of education and experience – internationally recognised qualification
- PMP or Prince II or any relevant Project Management Training
- Minimum 3 – 5 years related project management experience
28 April 2022
Your application must include:
An updated CV, motivational letter and relevant certificates.