Role: Occupational Health & Safety Officer
Reports to: SHEQ Manager
Main purpose of the job
The candidate will be experienced, responsible and a certified Safety Officer. Their main goal will be to always ensure a safe working environment and prevent any injuries and accidents. The Health & Safety Officer’s duties and responsibilities are to plan, implement and oversee the safety of NEC XON’s employees at work. Their main duty is to ensure that the company remains compliant and adheres to the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act.
- Plan and implement OHS policies and programs
- Advise and lead employees on various safety-related topics
- Prepare educational seminars and webinars on a regular basis
- Review existing policies and procedures
- Adhere to all the rules and regulations
- Work with HR to set up a new employee on-boarding process for safety
- Conduct risk assessments
- Enforce preventative measures
- Identify process bottlenecks and offer timely solutions
- Check if all the employees are acting in adherence with rules and regulations
- Prepare and present reports on accidents and violations and determine causes
- Oversee workplace repair, installations and any other work that could harm employees’ safety
- Ensure LTIFR is calculated on a monthly basis and records are kept
- Liaise with client Safety Officer to understand and request their individual OHS specification and derive an index for a Master Safety file related to a project.
- Communicate and vet sub-contractor files and adherence to OHS, especially for projects and those doing work at NEC XON offices/ locations.
- Form part of the Health & Safety Committee and advise on pertinent matters affecting OHS within the work environment
- Advise Crisis Management Team on OHS issues
- Take ownership of audits and vetting with both clients and vendors.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly OHS reports and updates
- Excellent knowledge of legislations and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices
- Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics
- Proficient in MS Office
- Working knowledge of safety management information system
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- 5 years of experience as a Safety Officer or similar role
- 5 years of experience in producing reports
- Experience with writing policies and procedures for health and safety
- Having a mining/ construction/ Electrical background
- Certificate in occupational health and safety (SAMTRAC/ NEBOSH)
- Although not a requirement at this stage, OHS experience within a mining environment would be advantageous.
- Advanced driving trained, preferable (Certificate)
- Rapid problem solving and decision-making certificate
- Legal liability for Executive’s training (Certificate)
- Hazard Identification and Risk Analysis trained (Certificate)
- Incident investigator (Certified)
- Understand ISO compliance which will become part of the core departmental focus.
01 April 2022
Your application must include:
An updated CV, motivational letter and relevant certificates.