Role: IT Systems & Support Engineer
Reports to: IT Operations Manager
Office location: Midrand & Cape Town
Main purpose of the job
The purpose of the role will be to provide server, systems, and end-user support on behalf of the NEC XON IT department, serving NEC XON and NEC Africa.
From an end-user support perspective, the IT Systems & Support Engineer will be accountable for all support requirements that cannot be addressed at the service desk as well as ad-hoc requirements and changes in support of IT projects. This must be delivered through a combination of remote and physical means.
From a systems and server support perspective, the IT Systems & Support Engineer will be accountable for management and maintenance of all IT systems and servers. This will include all elements of proactive maintenance, incidents and change requests across IT platforms in South Africa and across Africa.
Additionally, the IT Systems & Support Engineer responsibilities will include architecture, design, support, and maintenance pertinent to all Systems and Services within the Information Technology department’s remit.
IT Best Practice
- Alignment to IT best practices (ITIL) with a focus on continuous service improvement and end-user satisfaction
- Accountable for IT asset management including the capturing of end-user equipment’s detail into the appropriate systems.
- Adherence and enforcement of the policies related to the use of the IT systems.
- All elements of IT procurement ranging from understanding the requirement through to purchasing and final delivery process
- Accountable for installation, configuration, and deployment of end-user equipment.
- Accountable for the resolution of end-user incidents and service requests as well as changes pertinent to the desktop / endpoint support environment.
- Supporting users both remotely and physically with required operational IT needs, across all Microsoft and 3rd party based Systems and Services.
Systems & Server Support
- Database support, maintenance & management
- Maintaining, supporting and management of all business systems and services within the responsibilities of the IT department.
- Keep abreast of latest trends and functionality in Microsoft based IT systems as well as other core business systems to ensure stability and on-going enhancement of such systems.
- Monitoring systems and servers for equipment failure or degradation in performance.
- Oversee the management and implementation of cloud systems.
- Take accountability for ensuring that all systems are backed up and that the IT infrastructure is recoverable in the event of a disaster.
- Monitoring of the networking environment and keeping the NEC XON internal network available and stable via engagement with the accountable parties.
- Management and updating of systems with latest versions of the Windows Server Operating System and / or Application Software. This includes installations and patching.
- Creation and updating of documents that reflect the IT environment / architecture for systems and maintenance thereof.
- Drive information security and ensure that all systems are protected and secure.
- Daily pro-active checks of systems and software.
- Installing and configuring new hardware and software, pertinent to the IT scope.
- Management of hardware failures and assuring that availability / stability is achieved ASAP.
- Advanced troubleshooting against severe failures / issues.
- Active Directory administration including AD DS and Azure AD.
- Drive the increased use of Microsoft Modern Workplace (Microsoft 365 and Office 365)
- Analysis of and making of recommendations to enhance the performance and capabilities of the Microsoft and 3rd party based systems and services.
- Identifying areas in need of upgrades to equipment and software pertinent to the Microsoft systems and services
- Participation in and support of all IT projects.
- Drive continuous service improvement initiatives to ensure the continuous maturing of the IT environment and service offering.
- Oversee the delivery of 3rd parties.
- Enable 24/7/365 support and maintenance of the IT environment by participating in the shift requirements as determined by the operational needs of the business.
- Implement and manage the client satisfaction Process and improvement plan.
- Achieve the specified response rate and average satisfaction rating related to client satisfaction surveys.
- Continuous Service Improvement of client experience and satisfaction scores.
- Review, manage and report on client satisfaction survey results to improve NEC XON service management experience.
Key performance measures
- SLA performance
- Process and policy compliance
- End-user feedback and satisfaction ratings
Systems and Server Support
- SLA performance
- System uptime and stability
- Project success
- IT department maturity
Additional details around key performance measures will be defined as part of annual performance appraisal processes.
Standby support required
- Operating Systems: Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 R2, Server 2012 R2, Server 2016 and Server 2019
- Solid knowledge and experience of SQL Server (preferably SQL Server 2016 R2)
- Solid knowledge and experience with Microsoft Active Directory (Server 2012 R2) and Azure Active Directory
- Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Microsoft Exchange 2013 design, support, and maintenance
- Microsoft Hyper-V Virtual Machine configuration and troubleshooting
- Veeam Backup / Restoration capability as well as Azure Backup / Restoration.
- Solid understanding and experience of Microsoft Azure and Office / Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft 365 Administration inclusive of SharePoint, Online Exchange, Security and Compliance, Teams, and Office applications.
- Storage Area Networks: SAN
- Hardware troubleshooting / repair and knowledge of HP, Huawei & NEC SAN’s
- Virtual Disk creation and Presentation
- Adding Hosts
- Configuring of Zoning and Mappings
- Server hardware requirements:
- Hardware troubleshooting / repair knowledge on HP, Dell & NEC servers
- Experience with using server management tools on HP, Dell & NEC servers
Qualification & Experience
- Relevant Microsoft MCITP or MCSE Certifications
- A+ and N+ Certified
- ITIL v3 Foundation and/or ITIL 4 Foundation Certified
- Microsoft SQL Certified – Preferred
- Microsoft Azure Certifications
- Microsoft Office 365 Certified
09 February 2022
Your application must include:
An updated CV, motivational letter and relevant certificates.