Role: Environmental Officer
Reports To: SHEQ Manager
Office location: Midrand / Northern Cape
Main purpose of the job:
An Environmental Officer ensures that an organization follows environmental regulations and standards related to pollution and waste management. The successful incumbent’s responsibilities include sampling the soil and water near your facilities for further analysis at a laboratory. Inspect and test the output of the company’s equipment using a variety of tools and methods, depending on the contaminant and prepare reports of findings and be able to share the results with the businesses or agencies. As and Environmental Officer you will be required to make recommendations to help organization reduce their environmental impacts with projects like recycling or making energy-efficiency improvements.
Plan, develop and control the Environmental Management and conservation of the natural environment of the Municipality in accordance with applicable Legislation and Municipal By-Laws (NEMA 107 of 1998 as amended)
- Liaise with relevant role-players/stakeholders/local environment forums in relation to the management of sensitive and protected areas.
- Initiate Environmental Management systems, programs, and plans, and monitor implementation compliances.
- Manage and control own sectional budget
- Continuous auditing and alignment of appropriate environmental mechanisms, plans, and programs with the strategic objectives of the Municipality
- Participates in the delivery of awareness and educational programs on environmental management approaches to the community
- Manage environmental approval, authorization processes, and applications for human settlement, bulk infrastructure, and other municipal development projects
- Manage and control procedural administrative requirements, record keeping, and reporting deadlines associated with the functionality
- Keep abreast of developments, legislative changes, emerging trends, and the latest technologies in the profession
- Very hardworking
- Dynamic professional with great values and integrity
- Team player that believes in constant and ongoing communication
- Very detailed in his approach
- Project Management Skills
- Proficiency in at least 2 South African official languages – Read, Write and speak
- Computer literacy (GIS, MS Office applications)
- People Management
- Ability to give attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Willingness to work after normal working hours, during emergencies, and planned overtime.
- 15 years of experience as an Environmental Officer or similar role
- 10 years’ experience in report writing
- 8 years of experience on Mining Sites/projects producing reports
- Experience with writing policies and procedures for Mining Environmental issues
- Worked with other Environmental Impact Study companies, especially on mining projects
- Degree in Environmental Management/Natural Science/ Urban Studies/Town Planning or equivalent NQF7
- Code B driver’s license with no judgements
- 3-5 years’ experience in a similar role
20 June 2022
Your application must include:
An updated CV, motivational letter and relevant certificates.